PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA - lifestyle and work/life balance
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2011, 18:22
757_Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly @ B&B I wasn't belittling ezy, I said it wasn't for me, also AFAIK ezy are not recruiting experienced pilots anyway, only cadets onto the godawful flexi scheme or whatever its called, so although all this discussion and comparison is great, its also completely irrelevent if ezy aren't recruiting anyway as nobody actually has the choice between BA and ezy!
The rest of my origonal post is personal opinion, but I stand by MY belief that BA and the legacy carriers, having been knocked for six by the low costs, have reset their game and are now on the up and up whereas the day of the low-costs is coming to an end. Even Ezy's own management are on record as saying they think it is all at an end which is why ezy are sliding towards competing with the legacy carriers on things other than cost - i.e business passengers, flexible fares, flying to 'real' airports etc. In my mind that means people working in that sector will experience more change over the next decade than those flying for legacy carriers.
Again, not having a go at ezy, but my opinion. IF i was making a choice between the 2 ( whcih of course nobody can) I would be fairly certain on what BA will look like in 5 years whereas I doubt ezy will look anything like it does at the moment in 5 years. If you are after lifestyle the biggest problems are caused by uncertainty of outlook in my view.

Assuming "lifestyle" includes mental health amongst other things -then I put BA at the top of the pile of all companies ive worked for (I've come from another airline and that was a midlife career change after an engineering career in a very good blue chip company). Why? - just as tall boy said. I'm treated like a human being not a "900 hour flying unit resource", i'm respected, there are good human interfaces throughout the company if you need help with anything.
I've not had cause to test it yet, and hopefully never will, but the company have said that there is support for any personal / emotional / life issues you have, and I have not reason to doubt them. etc etc. That sort of thing (which most decent companies will do of course) is invaluable when the **** hits your personal life fan.

For me "lifestyle" is more than rostering and hours etc, its about the whole picture. Its no accident the employee surveys in all industrys (possibly with the exeption of bankers and MP's ) put 'respect', 'being valued' and such things much higher than salary or working hours. I certainly feel respected and valued at BA, but I can't complain about the money or hours either. (but I didn;t come from a command, so I can see that being a different decision, however a few of my mates have given up commands to come to BA)
And yes I did work last weekend, but as I spent it strolling round manhattan on a glorious summer day, I can't really complain.
Anyway thats my tuppenceworth.