PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus SR20 deploys ballistic parachute near Banbury
Old 20th Jul 2011, 17:18
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I submit that the money spent on gadgets might be better invested in training for the full Instrument Rating.

Years ago, I was flying a rented 172 with only the basic IFR panel, with two very brave passengers, from Florida to Baltimore. Over Virginia, we flew through a very lively front, with heavy noisy rain and gusts. The en route controller told us we would soon be through the nasty bit, and Norfolk was clear, so we decided to stop there and sooth our ruffled nerves with coffee etc.

Of course the front followed us up from Virginia, and sat on our proposed track to Baltimore. We did attempt to proceed, but when we saw the big black wall of cloud in front, and learned that the Baltimore approach was getting more and more dodgy, going back to Norfolk seemed a jolly good idea. We booked a motel.

Next day, we were monitoring the weather and the NFL Thanksgiving day game in the Pilots lounge, when a family took off in a fancy twin to fly to Long Island, for dinner with Granny. Four hours later they were back, having tried to approach five or six times and they all looked pretty stressed. Another night in the motel for us, and a Chinese takaway!

Next day finally got to Baltimore/Washington. Could have got there quicker by road, of course. But I don't think any modern gadget could have helped us get there any sooner or safer. My two friends and I will never forget that experience, wouldn't have missed it for anything!

But if you really want to get home safely for Christmas, book on an airline, with the professionals.