PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEMS - Regulations and saving life
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2002, 01:00
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't you see? That's the problem. In this day and age where litigation is second nature, operators have to protect themselves. Dare I say it, the CAA's primary role is to promote safety on all fronts and this is right down their alley. They will eat you for breakfast, if only to set an example.
The Home Office has reminded all C Constables that their aircraft are not in the rescue role and diversions from the rules will not be tolerated: FACT. If you don't believe me ask any emergency service pilot where it is laid down that they can step outside the limits to carry out a life threatening rescue (authorised by the C Constable/Health authority). It's not, because they can't, it's against the law!

Why do you think police cars no longer chase high speed stolen vehicles. It's because they have a "duty of care" to others (the public) and of course they'll be sued off the face of the earth if they continue to cause collateral damage in so doing. It is no longer the environment where you can bumble into a rescue because you think you're leading the moral cause. There is NO circumstance where you can knowingly place your aircraft in a position where there is a serious risk to third parties.

In response to the emotional blackmail from twist grip:

In such circumstances where I am confronted by something as unique as that of rescuing my family by using the helo I'm flying; God help me if this happened, because I would have to look deep inside myself. I would be prepared to lose my job over it, no question, but could i live with myself if I killed someone else in the process, as well as fail to rescue my family? What an impossible dilemma A no win situation.

I'm faced with situations similar to the thrust of this topic, on occasion in my present role. We did 150 HEMS trips last year. We didn't go to some because of the very reasons I'm discussing here. The risk assessment was too high unfortunately for the victim, I'm sad to say. But I'm not in the job of being a hero, I'm trying to do the job to the best of my ability within the confines of the regs. That's legislation for you - dispatched by the authorities - on behalf of the public.

If we don't like it - change it.