PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2011, 14:50
bearfoil

Thanks. I see your point(s). You have focused on the crux. Obviously, autoflight is well-equipped to fly the a/c. It does so virtually all the time.

How well equipped is the Pilot(s)? The irony is that the auto is sensitive, sophisticated, and connected directly to sensors that are processed instantly, allowing for smooth flight. Hand flying cannot produce the ride in most circumstances that auto can.

Two circumstances:

1. The autoPilot cannot keep up, drops out, and Normal Law remains.

2. Due UAS, the autoPilot drops out, and a/c reverts to Alternate Law.

Both conditions require hand flight immediately ("I have the controls").

It would seem to me that under condition (1), the a/c would revert to Alternate Law, the a/c is having control issues.

It would also seem to me that under condition (2), nothing has changed except an instrument is U/A. An important one, but one that hasn't to do with control, at least initially.

So Condition '1' wants (needs) immediate hands, and condition '2' is recommended "patience", monitor, do nothing, don't maneuver.

Protections would be better retained in condition 2, yes? Especially so since the a/s is not reliable, and ham handedness is more likely?

Protections also for condition 1, since the a/p has indicated control challenges for the PF at handoff?