PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA - lifestyle and work/life balance
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2011, 10:13
Wirbelsturm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have never belittled Easy Jet? I have some good friends flying for Easyjet and they enjoy it thoroughly.

I did think it relevant that someone who espose's 'the grass is always greener' to a colleague didn't make it through the interview with the company that the colleague is discussing. Previous colleagues of mine have also failed the interview/sim process. It can often depend upon various circumstances on the day and the interviewer as well as the interviewee, very much like any interview process!

It is interesting to say that you are not the 'right' person as I don't believe there is any 'right' or 'wrong' type of person in a company of 3300 pilots, everyone can find their feet and the selection process is there to determine if you are suitable 'at the time'. What transpires over the course of a potentially 45 year career is up to you and impossible to judge by any employer.

Fast track to command is not the be all and end all. Especially for those who have held commands before. The ability to change fleets and have access to a wide range of flying is what enticed me into BA, not the money, not the supposed 'kudos' and certainly not the brown nosing. I consider myself a perfectly average airline pilot who just enjoys getting the most out of my working day and having a laugh at the same time. If I can't laugh at myself then I can't laugh at any one!

Admittedly some days are tougher than others and some colleagues in the RHS need a little more supervision than others but, generally, I get paid to do a job I enjoy, see interesting places and chill out by the pool on company time with a cold, company subsidised, beer at my side.

Having any job you enjoy is a fantastic bonus irrespective of the employer. As much as you state that your opinion is valid don't try and shoot people down because they disagree with you or find certain actions valid and relevant.

This isn't a BA verses Easy/Ryanair/Monarch ..... <insert airline here> thread. It is a thread to discuss whether the life within BA fits a specific purposes of achieveing a lifestlye balance. As that balance is an extremely personal thing the answer will NEVER be the same from one person to the next. So lets keep it all on track shall we!

Last edited by Wirbelsturm; 20th Jul 2011 at 10:15. Reason: Speelung (again!)