PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2011, 23:23
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jcjeant
To remind that the loss of BA 777 (in England) was (as far know) due to a technical problem .. and the loss of AF A340 (in Canada) was (as far know) a pilot error.
I wasn't going to make that distinction, as it's not important to the point I was making (early-life crashes that highlight airframe "quirks" are often written up as pilot error), but if you want to make that call, then go ahead.

Originally Posted by john_tullamarine
Saved more than a few hot/high approaches (don't we all love ATC track shortening ?) by reconfiguring early - if necessary back to final approach configuration well out to improve the descent angle to something better than a mile a thousand. Or have I missed your point here ?
I was referring to a document I read on 737 handling back when I had time to muck around with sims (the document referred to the real 737 however) - from memory it said something about some pilots trying some of the tricks they'd used on the 727 getting a nasty (albeit recoverable) surprise when they tried them on its little sister. I'm pretty sure "throwing out everything except an anchor" was one of those tricks...