PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Select committe Carriers
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2011, 22:19
glojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Pheasant,
I totally understand what you are saying and it was a fluke that I happened to be watching the Parliament Channel which was showing a live sitting in the House of Lords..

Lord West who we all know had the report in his hand and asked the Under Secretary of State for Defence just to clarify the words used by Liam Fox..

You should have seen Admiral West react when Lord Astor confirmed they were indeed fitting cats and traps...... yes he said traps but then said to just ONE carrier... Admiral West held up the report and stated the wording indicated both carriers but his protestations fell on deaf ears...

Lord Astor merely said that this decision stands and any further decisions will be made at the next SDSR in 2015!!

I also agree with you about the fitting out of both carriers, who will want to buy a new carrier that has no means of launching or recovering aircraft? (Apart from the United Kingdom)

PLEASE do not think I am disagreeing with you, it was a fluke that I had that channel switched on just as Admiral West stood up.

Fingers crossed we get both carriers and they both are fitted with conventional systems.

One carrier can be at sea for a maximum of 200 days per year but if we have two then we get 400 days cover per year!!