PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Select committe Carriers
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2011, 21:12
glojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
we had all our underwater sonar capability removed in 1971 . Leaving just the Mortars intact in a Leander class frigate Hms Danae. When running aground at the Lyemoon pas
Is this what happens when the Gunnery Officer plays at being a Navigator and everyone else has invested in the stocks and Shares of Tiger Beer!!

Hi Pheasant,
Did you see my post regarding what you have just posted?

With politicians it is always best to check the fine print of whatever they say and sadly I fear that Dr Liam Fox might be speaking with forked tongue.

This is an EXACT extract of Hansards regarding clarification of the wording of Liam Fox's declaration

Lord West of Spithead(Labour) My Lords, I thank the Minister for the Statement. It is highly complicated and will take a lot of study before one can give very sensible comments on it. In general terms, I have no doubt that we need a greater increase in defence spending and I would hope that both sides of the House felt that was appropriate in the future. I am very supportive of the withdrawal from Germany-it should have happened previously; it has cost us a huge amount of money having those forces there. I like the basing of the marines down in the south-west. My question is brief, just for clarity. The Statement said:
"I can now give the go ahead for ... the cat and traps for the Queen Elizabeth class carriers".
Cat and traps is shorthand for catapults and arrester wires. Do I assume, because the Statement seems to say it, that we are intending to put catapults and arrester wires on the "Queen Elizabeth" and the "Prince of Wales"?
Hansard Source (Citation: HL Deb, 18 July 2011, c1127)
Lord Astor of Hever (Parliamentary Under Secretary of State, Defence; Conservative)
My Lords, I agree with the noble Lord that this is a very complicated issue which will take a lot of study. I am very happy to organise further briefings for noble Lords if they would like on any particular issue, be it on the reserves or basing or anything else. I am grateful that the noble Lord supports the increase in spending, albeit of 1 per cent, which will enable us to do quite a lot. I can confirm that the cats and traps will be for one carrier-at the moment, we do not know which one it is. Whether to equip the other carrier with them will be a decision for the 2015 SDSR
Apologies for being the bearer of sad news but it is just the one and at the moment who knows what one... My thoughts are that the operational one should be re-named Ark Royal but I guess that is never going to happen