PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA - lifestyle and work/life balance
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2011, 19:21
WHYEYEMAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It depends what you want out of your career I suppose. True, with BA you are on a slowly improving trajectory in that the lifestyle and pay gradually become better as you progress up the seniority list. I think the key to deciding whether BA is for you depends wholly on whether you will be happy living the BA lifestyle because you're not going to be doing it for the money. A great deal of your time will be spent away from home so you need to be prepared to throw yourself into all the activities that are on offer downroute. The happiest Nigels that I know are the ones who take great pleasure in telling you about their latest trip to xxxxxxxx. Jetskis, golf, etc etc. They love it and who can blame them!!

BUT, as for BA being the best then it absolutely depends on what your priorities are. For me the orange machine is better. The days out are almost invariably very pleasant and devoid of any 'office politics'. I do about 6-12 nightstops a year which are always good for a laugh and I only found out what my manager looks like a couple of weeks ago. I'm around at home with my family alot and drop/pick up my kids from school very regularly. I can afford a very good lifestyle well ahead of when I could have done so had I joined BA and I can live without the first class food, 5 star hotels, jetskis and golf in exchange. Let's not even start on the cash people are making on the continental contracts! It's about priorities and for me and lifestyle at home takes precedence over lifestyle at work.

Everyone's got some mates that work for BA so I suggest you offer to take them out and get them drunk in return for all the inside information. It would probably be a good investment!

Last edited by WHYEYEMAN; 19th Jul 2011 at 20:04.