PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wake Turbulence Question for UK ATC
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2011, 19:09
Danscowpie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wake turbulence distances for arriving aircraft are recommended.
Wake turbulence separation for departing aircraft is mandatory.

Helicopters are largely unaffected by it. In 30 years the only wake turbulence I've encountered is from another helicopter.
Complete and utter nonsense, helicopters are just as at risk from the effects of wake turbulence as fixed wing, in fact, due to the reduced time a helicopter piot has to react to and recover from such an issue compared to fixed wing, it's even more important that the departure separation is applied.There are absolutely no facts to suggest otherwise.

At my unit we are fully aware that helis do not feel the effects of wake turbulence as much as fixed wing
I refer you to the above and challenge you to present the evidence.

But as no one has done any definitive research to prove this then the CAA line is that the above reference is to be applied.[/
Yes they have and yes they are, EASA are conducting a major study into the turbulent wake effects and have been doing so for a number of years. All sectors of industry are being consulted, Helicopter operators throughout Europe and ATS Managers in the UK were the first to be asked to contribute, although not many of the latter considered it worthy of reply.