PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Select committe Carriers
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2011, 18:41
glojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Not_a_Boffin,
Thank you once more for the excellent answers and apologises for so many questions.
My turn to hopefully answer your query as best I can.
If the frigates you refer to are T23, the sonar (2031) was removed because it was gash and we weren't buying enough of the replacement (2087) to fit the whole fleet, hence reconfiguring the winch space to a mess.
No it was a specific Leander class frigate, it underwent a very quick conversion in late 1973. (She deployed in January 1974)

The towed array, plus mortars were removed to allow the ship to carry a detachment of Royal Marines. The well deck was converted into both a store-room plus office. The new deck area above these locations was adapted to carry two extra geminis. All TAS ratings plus a number of gunnery ranks were drafted off the ship which then allowed one messdeck to be adapted as their 'barracks' (messdeck).

Going back to the carriers
Are you confident this new EMALS will work on our smaller ships and if not is there any carrier afloat that has a steam powered catapult system, but NOT steam as its main propulsion?

Are there any references regarding this option as it is something that interests me.

Thanks again for your very informative replies
John

Last edited by glojo; 19th Jul 2011 at 20:13. Reason: Brain fade regarding year of conversion