PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wage Slaves? - RAeS article on P2F
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2011, 18:37
dood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just an insight

Hi there,

As a newly graduated pilot let me just say a few things from my point of view about the whole p2f schemes and bashing.

Having been graduated for a while now after spending so much money on my aviation licences the return on the investment is a little more than lacking. Consider the options someone like me faces. I could spend £8-9k more on a instructors rating and earn a paltry 11-12k a year for at least 2 years losing earning potential through loss of experience on jets. Or I could get a desk job biding my time for a gap to open for a year or two. Again, loss of earning potential and experience further down my career.

Now, imagine pilot's who don't have degree's and are wholly dependant on their flying licence after being sold a stupid and rather unrealistic dream by those 'self approved' flight schools. They, in essence can't get a normal desk job either.

What option do they have left. Sit around twiddling their thumbs looking at all the 1500TT 500 jet time jobs flying by or push through with a p2f scheme to be able to start earning after the second large sacrifice made.

Now, the problem is all of YOU aviation professionals within the industry. I'm sorry but you guys are just lazy and selfish. You have schools up and down the country using your companies logo's to sell pilot's licences and I have yet to encounter one pilot that would take the time to tell it how it is to newbies.

Then you turn around and blame the new guy's for messing up your T's & C's when they haven't even started working for your company. There is no demand in the aviation industry now or in the foreseeable future in Europe that can't be met by the pilots already here. But, have you even bothered to listen to what the flight schools are selling these 'kids' about job and earning prospects for everyone. The answer is NO. They are saying things on your behalf without you even knowing about it.

The only time a pilot actually came voluntarily to tell me how it is was when I was in school doing my A-levels. A BA pilot who actually was very realistic and encouraging. You guys have have your unions fighting for better pay and rosters etc but, how about taking some time out to hold seminars for aspiring pilots. After all you will work with them one day.

Do you know where this pay to fly scheme starts? It's right at the beginning with choosing flight training organisations. All CAA licence's are equal and the test's done are equal. So then why is it that Integrating students are looked on preferentially by airlines. I had a BA HR pilot tell me that we only take newbie integrated guys period. So I asked 'What about having a degree?' The response 'Meh, it doesn't matter'. So, new guys are paying in excess of £20k more for flight training to be preferred by an airline.

Why is it that CTC can charge £8600 for an MCC/JOC when other good outfit's only charge £4k. Because, it is essentially a extension of P2f. CTC give a chance to be selected by an airline 2 years down the line.. maybe.

So, why is it you guys complain when a 'newbie' is willing to spend 30k more for a p2f for a 'chance' to fly and earn for an airline. The root cause of all of this is airlines and pilot's laziness and indifference about anything but themselves. Airlines should pick, train and employ the pilot's if you want the p2f scheme to go away but should not overlook pilot's who are already in the system.

I am neither bitter or enthusiastic about the industry. Having my family in the business for 3 generations, I know exactly how it works and know exactly what to expect for myself. But, a sincere thanks for not doing anything other than whine.