PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK recruitment
Thread: EK recruitment
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2002, 16:47
Big_Yellow_Bird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In Dubai, for many high skilled jobs, people dont get paid salaries as such, they get a package. For example, a package could include:

A villa. In most cases it is not possible for expats to buy property in Dubai. Instead you must rent. Most companies either give you a villa, or give you a housing allowance in order to find a house yourself.

A car allowance or interest free car loan.

School fees for a certain amount of children, usally 2 or 3. All British and American schools are private.

Medical insurance for you and most of your family.

Yearly flight allowance, or flights home to your home country for your family.

A monthly salary, which does not look as attractive as other companies in Europe may offer. However, you must take into consideration what you get in your package.

The above tends to be what many skilled expats get in their packages, give or take one or two things. If you add together everything in your package and get a number, it is very generous. However, the amount of money you actually get in your pocket is not like what you would be getting if you were a senior captain for british airways, for example.

What many workers have a problem with is that they do not get all the money to do what they please. If a captain for BA was making 60-70,000 pounds+, he/she gets that money regardless of whether or not they have a family. In Dubai and you are a senior captain for Emirates, if you do not have a family your package essentially becomes smaller as you are not entitled to the money for school fees, larger house, insurance, flights etc..etc. If you had a family and put a number with the package, your income would be larger, even if you hold the same position as a fellow employee who is single.

Pilots, correct me if I'm wrong with the above. I am not exactly sure how it works for the pilots, but for other jobs like architects, engineers where I know first hand that is how it works.

Cheers