PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - English autumn/winter storage advice ???
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2011, 13:42
parasite drag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wasn't sure if this was appropriate for Rotorheads...some say it's the preserve of 'professional' pilots and their business....

So the thread is still here and I've not been shot down...yet

My machine is kept in what I'd call a heli-port rather than hangar....3m x 9m...blockwork on one side, 6" feather-edge timber on the other 3 elevations, with a felt lined pitched roof and concrete floor.

The inside stays dry and free from 99% of the wind in my locale but the structure is not air-tight..so in the autmn/winter months the air inside with my machine is the same as the damp stuff outside...

Last winter I found that it was warmer inside the heliport than outside leading to a lot of condensation forming on cold parts of the machine.....eventually I removed a heli-port door to equalize the in and out temperatures to prevent this..but that's not an ideal solution.

I considered an industrial dehumidifier, but apparently the interior would need to be completely sealed/airtight or that'd be a waste of time...

I'd appreciate any constructive...and dare I say it, cost effective advice on keeping my machine protected from Mother Nature this autumn/winter...which looks like it's imminent !

Many thanks