PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA FCL - Latest from Brussels
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2011, 12:53
proudprivate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nigel Farrage vs Mike Nattrass

Nigel Farrage is most certainly entertaining. Good for democracy, most probably, as he points out some of the more painful disconnects between European politicians and European citizens.

In that sense, there is a parallel between the workings of EASA and the of the Commission in the Basic Regulation and subsequent FCL files.

But to rally behind Nigel Farrage would not be my cup of tea. Apart from a few well documented controversial statements made by EFP members, I also happen to like the Schengen agreement a lot. I think we should cherish the freedom it gives us. For private pilots on the continent that means a lot less paperwork (none if you file the flight plan online) when flying into Reims, Geneva, Peenemünde or Maastricht. Good about the Schengen agreement is that you don't have to sign it if you're not comfortable with it. I think the Danes are a bit daft in first signing up to it and then wanting out. You're not going to stop illegal immigration by putting a couple of clowns in a booth in Padborg. And nothing is stopping the Danes from clamping down on drugs : but you can also do that 30 km inland with a few targeted checks. So all in all, unlikely bedfellows for me.

That being said, Morten Messerschmidt, also of the EFD fraction, was at least friendly enough to send a pertinent letter to the Commission asking about N-reg instrument ratings.

Coming back to UKIP : Mike Nattrass is the transport committee rep, now sitting independently from Farrage after major disputes last year as to the future stance of the EFD. Nevertheless, just like Morten Messerschmidt, Mike Nattrass is also favourable to exposing the Commission and EASA and curtailing their undemocratic behaviour (as well as cutting their budget - "EU’s budget skal reduceres og under kontrol").

I've noticed that some of you on this forum have strongly negative views on Europe (which I can empathise with, but do not share). If that is the case, it certainly can't hurt to give Mike Nattrass' office a call and ask him whether he would support the resolution for objection, show up at the vote and could he maybe convince some others to to the same thing ?

Happy landings,

Proudprivate

On a flight ops inspection the CAA bloke said they were ramping up there inspectors as well. And they are intending that there will be more ramp inspections and engineering inspections in the UK including GA and schools.
I think its a good idea for the civil service at all levels to assess which tasks need revamping and which ones should be cut in an overall effort to increase efficiency. But maintaining regional flight test centres seems like a no-brainer ?