PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - instructing?
Thread: instructing?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2011, 08:04
Lasiorhinus

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
There are some very good instructors out there who started off instructing.

But they are the people with a passion for teaching - people who really enjoy what they are doing. For the most part, doing an instructor rating and teaching when you have little experience flying yourself, is a disservice to your students. I learned to be quite picky about who I paid to teach me to fly, and instructors who "weren't that keen on instructing" never got any of my money or hours.

In the helicopter world, you must have 400 hours flight time in a helicopter before being able to get an instructor rating. It is possible to be issued an aeroplane instructor rating with 200 hours flight time - or 250 hours flight time with only 150 hours in aeroplanes. I cannot see a reason why aeroplane students are not afforded the same minimium instructor requirements as helicopter students.

If you are not that keen on instructing, don't instruct. You'll hate it, and your students will be wasting their money.

Go north, go to Broome or Kununurra or Jabiru or Horn Island.

If the idea of leaving the big city scares you too, then either deal with it and go anyway, or perhaps re-consider aviation as a career path.