PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus SR20 deploys ballistic parachute near Banbury
Old 18th Jul 2011, 21:23
Big Pistons Forever

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Pace
When i started flying we had NDBs and VORs when RNAV came out it seemed a luxury to be able to place a VOR on your track. The USA had Loran we had Decca.

Taking the latest cirrus it not only has sophisticated GPS but items which should equal safety. Ie the chute, auto wing levelers, Night view terrain mapping, weather mapping etc.

All commendable BUT will the terrain mapping mean that pilots will drop lower in cloud into their destination field because they can see the terrain on a flat screen?

Will they reduce their minima at night?

Will they do a whole host of things which took skill withouit those skills because they are flying a flight sim?

I fully support items which save pilots but we have to also be aware of the negatives of those safety items.

Pace
So are you saying that because somebody might mis employ the technology we should not teach them how to use the aircrafts fitted equipment ?

To me that makes no sense. What does IMO make sense is to realize that a wholistic training program that teaches how to fully utilize the aircrafts capabilities while ensuring that the technologies benefits and the risks are fully understood.