PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BELFAST INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT - BFS (Aldergrove)
Old 18th Jul 2011, 18:12
tigger2k8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if easyjet or jet2.com are not going to take up the routes lost by the bmibaby move, why doesn't the airport try to entice ryanair to launch these routes plus they could also give us flights to prestwick, and at a long shot possibly doncaster or humberside, at the end of the day if a deal is made they dont have to be a threat to easy or jet2. or is there something in the pipe work we do not know about, although i see this very unlikely as surely it shouldnt take this long to announce
Ryanair has tried to get into BFS twice in recent years, however no agreement was reached.. (fee's) this is dispite M'OL quoting no one wants to fly into a field in the middle of nowhere..

also i was just wondering for anyone that knows, why didnt the bmi group move their operations to aldergrove? the airport has no restrictions at the intl, possibly allowing for a later arrival or more flights to heathrow, and also has a fellow star alliance member operating from the airport (CO).
BMI would have been moving BHD-LHR, the route already exists at BFS..

in my opinion baby could have launched their european routes from the intl, as they still have the same amount of competition on them (even more as jet2 have also launched faro), i dont feel the airport change will give them any help as what are they going to do if a flight is delayed? cancel it or just divert the flight back to were they used to be.
They could have, but they decided to launch existing routes already served from BFS (at much higher prices though) existing airlines would have destroyed bmibaby at BFS.... moving to BHD saved money for bmibaby... they no longer have to pay rent for a restroom for the engineer (big money per year) delays due to tech issues are now minimised (as an engineer had to travel from BHD to BFS if something went wrong) landing fee deals also sealed the deal for the move