PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will I ever get a break?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2011, 16:33
Pelikanpete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sadly the wannabe's section of prune is a place where pilots in training convince pilots about to start training that it's a good idea. Of course the later group assume the first group are experienced pilots and worth listening to because that's what they want to believe.

Occasionally someone (with misplaced but good intentions) who has successfully got a job (against all the odds) comes along and relays their own tale and the wannabe's latch on to this as justification to waste more months and another few thousand to chase the dream - "double or quits, if I give up now I've wasted all the money I've spent so far, so I'll spend some more and just hope".

Spreadeagle's comments are the sad truth. It's a numbers game - there are probably ten times more pilots training than actuals jobs. Even in good economic times there have always been many who fail to ever get their first job and eventually have had to give up. But currently and for the last few years every month that passes means another few hundred joining the queue, determined to never give up however hopeless it is. The surplus is so large it can never be cleared.