PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light Aircraft Oxygen System
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2011, 15:33
whydowebother

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Light Aircraft Oxygen System

I have a requirement to fly at altitudes up to 20Kft, for periods of up to 2 hours in a light twin aircraft that is unpressurised (PA-31-310). The aircraft has an oxygen system, with oxy provided to the cockpit and cabin seat positions. Simple oxy masks (with a microphone for the pilot) are installed under the seats.

The system is serviceable, although we have never used it in anger, and there is no 'instruction manual' for its use so I don't know much about it except that I assume it simply provides 100% oxy until the gas runs out (there is a pressure gauge in the cockpit)!

I have many years experience of flying on oxygen from time in the military, so am quite familiar with the whole concept, but I have absolutely no experience at all of flying on a system such as the one fitted to my current aircraft (which itself is cleared for operation up to 24Kft).

I think my question will span across more than one forum (medical for starters), but I thought I would begin here, to see if anyone can provide some advice for operating the system from a technical viewpoint.

Does anyone know where can I find advice on system operation, how to check it before flight, how to check it in flight, and so on. Very grateful for your advice.