PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Westcott
Thread: RAF Westcott
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2011, 15:17
None of the above

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember many times as a schoolboy, living 3 miles the Amersham side of Wendover, hearing very loud and obviously very powerful rocket motors being tested at Wescott. Lovely noise.!
Yes, I remember that noise as well. I lived at the NW edge of Wendover as a child and would often hear the tests quite clearly. The father of one of the lads in my class at primary school (Halton, opposite the main guardroom) was employed at RPE Westcott and I believe he worked on the development of Blue Streak.

The book you chaps need is 'The Brill Tramway' by Bill Simpson. ISBN 978-0860932185 and available from the usual outlet.

The house on the opposite side of the road to the site entrance was the station master's house and has the letters B&C inscribed on the front. (Duke of Buckingham & Chandos). I believe that the old ticket office is still in use as a garden shed.

Station Master's House.

The 'B&C' plaque is just visible on the central gable. I believe that the gable on the left of the picture is new and that part of the house sits on the track bed. The old ticket office is just out of sight on the left.