PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2011, 13:05
rudderrudderrat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi DozyWannabe,

this is not like your computer or video game controller in that it exerts more counteracting force the further you deflect the stick.
That's strange - because yesterday it definitely felt like I have to exert more force the more I move it.

As I said before regarding modern back-driven FBW controls a la B777, if you've got a triple-pitot failure and UAS scenario, how do you know that the computer is applying the correct column/yoke backdrive?
I don't know, but if it defaulted to sensed zero air speed, then it would simply feel more twitchy. I would still be able to cope, just that I'd need to exert say half the force for the same effect.

whether you'd want to have to suddenly take over manual pitch trimming - in turbulence, at night, with no speed indications and the fuel transfer system causing the need for regular adjustments.
Do you bother to read any of my posts? That is exactly what a pilot wants to do. He wants manual control of his own pitch trim during UAS. Any fuel transfer cofg problem could be halted by turning off a couple of pumps until later.