PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fedex Tokyo MD-11 Update
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2011, 12:31
Huck
Trash du Blanc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I work for FX and have flown the Mighty Dog "F" for 7 years total at two different companies.

In both of our MD11 hull losses I can assure you that pilot experience was not a factor. The pilots were well-rounded with plenty of heavy, high-performance time, as well as a fair amount of MD11 time.

The KEWR hull loss occurred back before the software change, when LSAS kicked off below 50'. The captain set up an excessive sink rate then lacked the pitch authority to arrest it adequately.

Much speculation follows - no word from the Japanese yet:

The RJAA hull loss involved a huge wind gust at touchdown, a big bounce and (I believe) a first officer that thought he was on the ground when he wasn't. This is all speculation but if you look at the pitch control inputs it does look like he was trying to derotate and "stick" the aircraft on the runway. His pitch-down input set up rotational inertia in pitch that could not be overcome, causing the nose-down touchdown. The second touchdown was at less than one g until ground contact, causing a whipsaw effect on the wings, right at the MLG attach point.

One cannot forget the overwhelming fatigue they were suffering from at that point. They left the Philippines the night before, stopped at Guangzhao for a few hours then arrived at Narita well after sunrise. This with a two-man crew that had started in Anchorage just a few days before. I've been in that type of situation, and intellectual agility is not available. You're hanging in the straps, just waiting for the pain to stop at the hotel room.....