PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OzRunways 2.whoa!
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2011, 07:18
baswell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do want to know though where all the airport data has come from. Can somebody tell me where YHHN is? Allegedly Hahndorf, and a might fine part of the world it is but even the resident guru "Mr Debonair" has no idea and it did not seem to be his home strip....nor has he registered it with anyone.
That data is from AsA. You know the encode/decode-only ALAs in ERSA? We get coordinates for them too.

But you are right, there's some rather questionable ones in there! I reckon there must have been something there are at some time and registered with (probably) the CAA, keeping in mind that some time was likely before GPS, with a rough measurement on a WAC as source and while it seems to be someone's backyard now, could have been an actual strip miles away many moons ago.

I reckon it will have to be a community effort to clean this up. Although no start has been made on it yet, we do envisage functionality in OzRunways where you can comment on any airfield and see other user's comments. This could be anything from: "phone local pilot John for strip info" and "avgas bowser broken 15/7/2011" to reporting the airfield is not really an airfield. (for those familiar with the area.)

By making entering that data only available inside the app and to paid-up users only; the risk of it being vandalised/abused becomes extremely low. We're pilots, we look out for each other, right?