PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Computers in the cockpit and the safety of aviation
Old 18th Jul 2011, 05:23
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
The idea that you or I or any group of people can yell "stop, wait till we catch up" is just sheer folly

That's a real worry to me.

A basic tenet of activity in many areas is the "knock it off" (or some similar catch cry) approach to discontinuing whatever it is that appears to be going off the rails.

Clearly, we can't adopt a stop and wait approach but we certainly need the option of adopting some other technique to replace/supplement that which may be causing us grief in the short term. For us old pharts, that might be a preference for the big O.F.F button, followed by getting things under control via a bit of pushing and pulling, and then the ON button to go back onto the automatics.

While I am quite happy with the idea that the Airbus machines enhance safety statistics overall, there remains that niggling disquiet if I can't find an OFF button to give me some chance in the event that the automatics simply give up ? Caveat - I haven't flown any Airbus machines so I am a tad in the dark as to the cockpit specifics.