PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dick Smith "QF move to Asia".
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2011, 02:47
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Porch Monkey - Re your post #21

Unfortunately I can’t help – I know nothing about the Qantas balance sheet, I don’t have any shares in Qantas and I don’t have any involvement in Qantas in any way.

What I am saying is just plain common sense. I will say it again – if Qantas has to compete on routes from Australia to London with airlines that have far lower costs but which are, in the public’s mind, just as safe, then Qantas will have to lower its costs to compete.

Even if, as you claim, it is subsidising Jetstar from Qantas mainline, it still does not solve the basic problem, i.e. that the Australian Government, supported by the Australian voter, has decided we should have an open skies policy with countries with far lower costs than ours.

This means that we either match the costs or we convince the public to pay higher prices on our airline or we go broke. Surely you can see this.

I can’t see what it has to do with the personalities involved. It is just basic economics. Anyone who runs a small business knows that you have to be able to compete on price, otherwise you don’t stay in business.

It’s the same with Qantas – it will just take a bit longer for a reality to be forced on everyone involved.