PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2011, 21:11
Agaricus bisporus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many feel the GN was uncalled for (something I would agree with - if only for the simple reason that they are deceased),
Well, under the well publicised and bizarrely misworded burden of proof the GN charge is clearly unreasonable. But without wishing to be contraversial it is pretty clear also that had the definition been properly worded (ie, beyond reasonable...) then that GN charge would still have been made and would stick to this day unchallenged. In my world it is hard to see what else one calls CFIT. Harsh maybe, but realistic. The fact that the protagonists are deceased should have no bearing on the verdict being called for or uncalled for. There should be no place for sentimentality in delivering verdicts in accidents. That is clearly inappropriate.

That said, I am very happy that the GN charge has been removed in this case, it was inappropriate under the circumstances pertaining and any other verdict under other circumstances is purely hypothetical.

Equally inappropriate and inaccurate are the media reports that say the crew were "exonerated of responsibility" or words to that effect.