View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2011, 16:34
takata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stall Protection

Hi HarryMann,
Originally Posted by HarryMann
Originally Posted by grity
my smal feeling is that the PF wrongly intrusted in one of the lost protections (AoA) and thought it will be ok to hold the stick back, it might be that he had learnd this (wrongly-) skill......
It might and would be awful to contemplate if so... there must be others.
The corollary if true, is that even with protections, it must surely be acknowledged as still the wrong thing to do.. what is wrong with S&L or a slight easing of ND.
The feeling that the PF wrongly intrusted in High-Alpha-Protection (Normal Law) was also my first impression. But now, I don't share it anymore. Basically, he was not aware at all that he was stalling... I believe that he was confused by something else. Even if one looks at this procedure in Normal law, this doesn't fit unless one would really fly at Alpha-Max... but without Alpha-prot, Alpha-Max displayed on the speed scale (and SPEED LIMITS were lost on his PFD from the beginning).

If I find the time, I will try to translate the Judicial report which is very instructive about how other AF crews (21 interviewed) reacted to previous UAS events.

Have a look at this High-AOA procedure. Everything is clearly pointing at reducing alpha to get out of it, even in NORMAL LAW, with a fully protected envelope and speed working fine. Note also what autotrim is doing when the protection is working.

I really think that it's pretty hard to conclude that he was doing something about this stall situation. First, the PF ignored deliberately the first warning and there is absolutely no mention of TOGA, neither thrust at this point but only a pitch-up, certainly inducing this initial climb. At the second stall warning, TOGA was applied but the pitch up was decupled. Hence the conclusion really lies elsewhere and I've got another bad feeling about what could have really happened.

Last edited by takata; 17th Jul 2011 at 16:45.