PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus incident in SNN
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2011, 15:52
Just a spotter

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would have to disagree with the view that this incident would damage RE, or EI in any noticeable anyway (other than some disruption and associated costs of sourcing a replacement airframe).

On the face of it, the aircraft suffered a mechanical failure upon landing in unpleasant weather. No injuries and no pictures of a seriously damaged aircraft (to the average person who's interest in things aviation extends only as far as to whether their flight is on time, the aircraft looks like it could be back on the ramp in a day or two (and no, I'm not suggesting that it will be)).

If you want to compare this to other incidents, then may I suggest BA038 or FR4102 would be comparable (all be it that both had different circumstances to this). Both of the airlines who's aircraft were involved in those incidents are, AFAIK, doing reasonably well at present.

RE, like many carriers at present have their financial woes. I doubt this will have an effect either way, other than possibly raising the public awareness of the Aer Lingus Regional brand.