PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radar Control Service in Class D VFR
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2011, 13:31
SUMBURGH DIRECTOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HC

the example you provide to me sounds like poor controlling. Regardless of the flight rules, ATC has a responsibility to prevent collisions between known traffic.
The minimum service offered by ATC to VFR flights inside CAS is traffic information on all other known flights. That is the MINIMUM. Nothing is to stop the controller to take further actions to prevent an unsafe situation developing.

At your home airfield, when arriving VFR, you will go directly from outside CAS on offshore deconfliction to Aberdeen Tower which being a Tower doesn't provide you with a radar service. That's why you won't get the RCS transition as you would normally do when arriving IFR via Aberdeen approach and director.

I would be interested to know what airport you were transiting in the example you provided. Were you given o'clock type of traffic information?

Remember that if you felt it was too close for comfort, or you had to take avoiding action, even if it's VFR vs VFR you are fully entitled to file an airprox. They get taken very seriously and investigated thoroughly and could lead to a good lesson to be learned.

10W.. I take it you work en route? Do you get many VFR - VFR conflictions in the airways?
I don't think clearing 2 a/c to same place same level at same time is a great idea, even if VFR.