PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2011, 11:09
Linktrained

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cof G

Takata #393

Thank you for the information.

In an earlier post I had mentioned that when hand flying a York as F/O in the 1950s, that when the Captain went back to the toilet, I was able to fly 1 or 2 kts faster and when he returned the speed reverted. He had altered the C of G slightly.
In Autumn 1970 I asked "our" Boeing rep. what was the optimum C. of G. for a 707. I had a telex the following day saying that aft loading would save 1/2 % fuel.
( Perhaps not really measureable on a flight. But a year... ? For a fleet...? And that was with cheap fuel, too, £20/tonne.)
Boeing's Airliner of January 1974 put the figures at 0.5% per 4% of aft shift of M.A.C. on 707, 727 and 737, but 0.2% for the 747.
The last type of aircraft that I had flown ( also made by a B.) with a full load of SLF (usually), baggage was normally loaded 2/3 forward and 1/3 aft. With hindsight it ought to have been the other way round.
Another manufacturer,( yet a different B.) refused to give any information. ( It may have been a coincidence that the airline ordered more aircraft from the B. who wanted the airline to make a profit.)

No fuel trim tanks were fitted.

Last edited by Linktrained; 17th Jul 2011 at 12:07.