PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Martin Baker Rides at Farnborough
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2011, 08:16
Fareastdriver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What kind of crass comment is that?
My jocular statement having been taken the wrong way I will now have to justify it. A bit of research revealed a fasinating Martin Baker website.

Martin Baker - Ejection Seats

Of all the seats the Mk3, the one I was referring to, packed the most punch at 80ft/sec.
The Mk9, Harriers and Jaguars, left the gun before rocket initiation at 64 ft/sec.

As described in the preamble the Mk3 was designed for high tailed aircraft like the Javelin and the V aircraft. An early Valiant test flight ended in with fatal results when one of the ejectees hit the tailplane with a lesser powered seat.

Some interesting facts one discovers. The Mk 3 seat had a minimum weight requirement of 70.4 kilos/155lbs; so as I then weighed 145lbs in my flying kit and lifejacket I was below the permitted weight to fly in the seat. I wonder how many lightweight co-pilots like me knew that; and how fast would we go off the end of the gun?

I believe there was a quasi official procedure on the Javelin. Because of its high tail and delta wing control could be lost in the pitching plane. In the ensuring superstall or spin the navigator was ejected and with luck the recoil would push the nose down sufficiently to restore clean air to the tailplane.

I know of an occasion in India where this was successful.