PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radar Control Service in Class D VFR
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2011, 22:17
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
Thanks Sumburgh

A few thoughts:

The doc you quote from is an ATC doc, not normally read by pilots.
The doc still doesn't actually say what the service entails, only the conditions for giving it etc.

Do any pilots know what service an RCS actually gives?

I'll reveal my hand now! The reason for the question was as follows:

In receipt of traffic service, get clearance to transit Class D at 2500' VFR via theshold of a runway (so to a specific point in space) so put that waypoint in FMS and fly towards it at 2500'. Controller says "radar control service" as I enter CAS. He mentions a light aircraft that is also crossing via the same point. His clearance is "not above 2500'" and he reports he is 2300'. Although it is gin clear, I can't see the light aircraft yet but feel that RCS means that ATC are looking after me. However I start to get a bit uncomfortable because i don't know from where or to where he is going, just that at some point he is going to be at the same place as me at nearly the same height, so I request climb to 3000'. This is denied me, I must remain at 2500'. I am on approach frequency, it's in the evening and have heard no other traffic.
Finally I see the traffic at a mile or two (which is a realistic distance to be able to see a light a/c below you) and he is going right to left with enough bearing change to mean I am not going to hit him, but pass behind. ATC offers me an orbit if I wish but if I do that, I will probably lose sight of him so don't.

We are now about 0.5 miles from the threshold. If I were not under RCS I would have changed heading a bit, but feel I must comply with ATC instructions, after all I am not going to get closer than about 300 metres and i will soon pass behind.

But just as he comes into my 12 o'clock he banks steeply to the right so is now directly in front of me on the same track. I am doing 155kts, he perhaps 90 so he is getting bigger in the windscreen very quickly. I have to take an evasive manoeuvre by banking 30 deg into an orbit.

So as I understand it, RCS means that you must do what the controller says, but he has no obligation to stop you hitting something and is within his rights to direct 2 aircraft with very different speeds to the same point is space to arrive at the same time. Something is wrong with that system!

HC