PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2011, 20:40
Owain Glyndwr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right, with the elevator in full up position almost masked to the airflow and counterbalanced by an assumed nose up wing/body moment. If the elevator goes down, the THS + elevator frontal area increases about 30% and could overcome the wing/body moment.
Yes in principle, but I must admit that my remarks are biased by the curves for a 'typical twin engined aircraft' as shown in that NASA upset recovery report (plus some intuition) which seems to me to indicate that nose down capability would be strictly limited at this level of body AoA because of the risk of stalling the tail with down elevator applied (the nonlinearity of the published Cm~alpha curves in the NASA report shows this).

[quote] Sorry, I thought you did not based this sentence in your post #295: “When it gets to this point I think the centre of lift/pressure will be fairly close to the centre of area of the exposed wing. For the A330, this is about 70% mac”.['quote]

Sorry in turn; I didn't make it clear that this referred only to the wing contribution to PM.