PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson: Greatest Helicopter of all time
Old 16th Jul 2011, 17:58
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
I'll take that as a No then

Having also read a lot of reports, although I could never claim to have read every report since 1988, I totally agree that the vast majority of all light helicopter accidents are caused by the actions of the handling pilot.

However in the case of R22/44's one of the common things I see and therefore you must also have noticed, is the phrase 'Low Rotor RPM sounded'.... resulting in the incident.

Just a small observation, but if the setting was designed so that it warned the pilot of this seemingly common situation of low rrpm earlier, then a vital second or 2 might be enough time to allow corrective action to be effective.

I'm sure that if a 'learner type' car was designed so that the brakes weren't effective until a second after application, and that type of car had a lot of 'incidents, the issue would be addressed pretty sharpish!

Yes the R22 is a cheap training aircraft used by many an inexperienced pilot after getting the license, but it seems to be called a learner aircraft simply by virtue of its price and not by ease of use and handling!