PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2011, 14:42
tail wheel

Received 232 Likes on 123 Posts
I don't think anyone here has any more information than what has already been posted? Most of the guys that post in this thread left PNG a number of years ago. I don't know what recommendations were made after the Kokoda accident, but I am sure APNG have an excellent safety culture and would be taking every action possible to avoid accidents.

No problems in discussing the incident, but how can it be discussed intelligently when no one knows the facts?

I'm 2,356 kilometers from Mt Hagen and that is about as close as I want to be!

"What really happened..." It would be pure speculation but I suspect the pilot was flying through a gap in inclement weather, as probably happens most days in PNG? In unpressurised aircraft, there is often no option. What answers are you looking for?

Unfortunately incidents of this nature have been happening in PNG since before Peter Manser was endorsed on DC3s! The nature of the terrain, weather patterns in PNG and particularly the Highlands seem to make accidents inevitable, even for the most experienced and cautious PNG pilots. Flying in PNG is very different to flying in Australia.

There has probably been at least twenty aircraft accidents within twenty kilometers of Kagamuga over the years and some of those by very experienced PNG pilots. Many who post here worked, lived and survived ten or twenty years in PNG. Many of our friends and colleagues did not survive.

I guess you need to make your own decisions whether you continue working in PNG?