PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas latest engine out
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2011, 14:03
Angle of Attack

Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts
Qantas PR fool quote

Shutting down one of the four engines on an aircraft is not a safety risk
to the passengers or crew. Qantas has never ‘cut costs’ on safety and never will Qantas invests more than $1 billion in maintenance each year

The likely cause of the incident, the failure of a single blade on a high
pressure compressor, is not an issue which is exclusive to Qantas. Other
airlines around the world have experienced this type of issue with RB211
engines.

This is not an issue which requires immediate action and the manufacturer has advised all airlines to undertake a modification at the next major engine overhaul.

Qantas has fast-tracked the program in recent months to bring the
modification forward on our aircraft, ahead of the manufacturer’s
recommended timeframe. Despite the union’s claims there is not a lack of capacity at engine overhaul facilities around the world.
The spokeperson craps on a lot more but my question can anyone compile the number of RB211 failures in recent times? maybe since the workshop closed in Sydney? Maybe Steve can shed some light on the failure rate since the RR shop shutdown vs before. Basically the hours flown by QF 744's has been pretty constant the last decade or so?

Just heard from a CASA source there may be an announcement too this week, they are getting a bit fidgety about it!

These QF spokespeople are about as effective as a wooden bbq at the bottom of the pacific ocean trench with a waterproof match...I'm sure Olivia can put spin about its a water proof match so it can still be lit underwater lol !