PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2011, 12:37
SaturnV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Henri 737.

The radar system in use was identified much earlier in one of the previous, now-closed threads on this accident. I am not going to search for the posts describing it. It was the same radar system used by AF459, which followed AF447 along the same track by about 35 minutes, but which after ORARO, deviated to the left by about 20 NM and then to the right by 70-80 NM, and did so after adjusting the tilt and gain on the radar.

Wallybird7,

Regarding the 'conversation' earlier in this thread, I do not believe anyone is asserting that the crew deliberately flew into a Cb whose top was subsequently described as being at 520 (Meteo France) or 560 (Vasquez). AF459 began adjusting its radar after unexpected turbulence at 350 in the vicinity of NATAL, in weather described as cumulus congestus. The crew of AF447 may not have been prudent, but I don't believe there is any indication from the CVR excerpts that they were reckless.

As we don't yet have a full CVR transcript, we don't know what, if anything, was said about what they saw on their radar (except for a reference to the anticipated turbulence and a reference to deviating a bit off the track). We don't know if they adjusted the settings on their radar.

As there was no lightning, and the moon was behind them, there was little illumination of the clouds ahead. We do know that a Lufthansa 744 flying 20 minutes ahead at 325 reported it was in the clouds at the time it deviated. The only weather-related comment by the AF 447 crew in the CVR excerpts released by the BEA references the outside air temperature.

No one disputes that the crews of the LH ahead, and the IB and AF459 following, deviated based on what they saw on their radars. The unanswered question is what did AF447 see on its radar that led them to continue on the track, and only attempt a slight deviation when they were in the middle of the 'cloud'.