PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2011, 06:20
tail wheel

Received 232 Likes on 123 Posts
"....and yet you all appear to be operating in a environment where even to discuss a real incident that came within meters of killing everyone on board is problematic..."

Is it? Of course if you have the expertise to contribute to a constructive, professional, competent and factual debate as to why the incident occurred, be my guest. We have no knowledge of the facts of how or why the incident occurred and are content to wait for the official, factual report in due course, at which time I'm sure those here with the experience and qualifications will discuss it in detail.

I like your comparison to Tiger! Tiger flew at 1,300 feet above sea level in an area where the published Lowest Safe Altitude is 2,000 feet above sea level. Do you think that was the sole reason Tiger was grounded? Do you think those pilots were suspended?

I can't remember the published Lowest Safe Altitude where the PNG incident occurred but it is probably somewhere around 14,000 feet or more above sea level? The incident occurred at an altitude around 9,500 feet above sea level. You think because the pilots were flying 4,500 feet below the published Lowest Safe Altitude they were operating illegally and should be suspended?

"Have the pilots involved been suspended ? Has an official investigation been started ? Why is there no media involvement ? etc etc"

No idea but I'm happy to provide all the phone numbers. You can call and ask someone who cares?

"Should i even consider getting on a aircraft in PNG ?"

Your decision I guess? I did for 23 years and am still here. Of course, you could probably get a PMV if you think that would be safer?