PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2011, 13:34
before landing check list

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Without going into another of those discussions, where do you suppose might be parallels to AF447 (besides an A plane being involved)?
Both flights utilized an aircraft that was strictly FBW. All I am saying in general the system is designed to fly the aircraft better then the pilots and tell me if I am wrong here but it does have the capability to negate pilots actions. (The friggen A320 in the trees) I was not aboard flight 447 and neither were you so I do not know if there was an exact parallel however you are still controlling (somewhat) a system that is controlling the aircraft. Remember the designers have designed the system to be better then you and in doing so gave the system (whether inherent or by design) the ability to override what you ask of it. It knows best right? And I do think in a lot of cases it probably does know best since a lot of the pilots now have limited flying skills. But there is going to be that one hundredth of one percent that the software designer did not cover or the friggen hardware craps out and you you have between your hands and the control surfaces are some useless wires.
I like automation, with it I can relax a bit and in doing so I can better see the big picture. Hand flying at flight level does suck. (I flew cargo so yes we tried it on occasion) Are you totally comfortable of not have 100% control of the aircraft? I do stand by my original statement though; I do not mind FBW as long as the wires are in control tubes.

I know. But is some internet experts getting Acars messages wrong a good case in point for your answer?
I do not fully understand your question (Or is it a statement with a question mark?) I am not an "internet expert" nor am I am expert in flying. I have been flying professionally since 1982, a healthy mix of military, law enforcement and commercial and presently instructing in the desert. So I have almost 30 years of experience, most of which have been successful, have not killed anyone by accident and not bent any sheet metal.
I am not here to compare experiences, time, licenses, type rating anything with you nor do I need to. I have not met any aircraft that can read whats is on the back of my piece of plastic. Well maybe your FBW one can. There is nothing (yet) that can replace experience and sound judgement. I am just giving my opinion.

Last edited by before landing check list; 15th Jul 2011 at 15:11.