PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - instructing?
Thread: instructing?
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2011, 11:58
ThePaperBoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If...
you took all the hour building flight instructors out of schools
you wouldn't have pilots offering...

flying for free to get the hours up
allowing...

options...for low time pilots
who really wanted to teach people to fly and therefore offer an improved career path for instructors.

Danger, from the sound of this thread and the other you've started it seems you're pretty scared of the realities of finding that first job. There is no shame in that, I went through the same thing at the start of my career. You need to get out there and make it work for you, now, and not sit at home sending emails to Chief Pilots hoping for that big break. I don't know your background so I can't offer recommendations, but throwing $15K extra at an instructor rating doesn't sound like the right thing for you.

What ever path you take, it won't be easy. Finding work as a junior Grade 3 can be harder than finding that break up north, and almost impossible unless the school that provided your instructor rating hires you. About 25% of your work involves flying, how do you feel about spending the other 75% completing student paperwork and briefings?

Once you get that break and after a while become a Grade 2, the next challenge comes along. How does one build their multi-engine hours? I'll leave that discussion to another day, but I've seen instructors stuck for years unable to get that break into a twin.