PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What do you love about flying....?
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2011, 09:09
ct8282

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thing
I've been an aviation nut since year dot. I have a picture of me aged about two with a model of a F102 in my hand, that would have been about 1958, it hasn't stopped since then. It's not just the flying for me, it's the shared experience with others who fly.

There's also that childhood dream of flying and the freedom it brings. I've often sat in a glider watching the world go by below and felt totally remote from it; landing always seems like you have to reconnect however unwillingly to the world of work and bills.

It's a privilege to fly and see the things that we see. I also think it's extremely satisfying to be able to do an activity which although quite safe if done properly, will most likely kill you if you get it wrong. There's no room for error and there's something quite fulfilling in that for me.
Great response and totally agree with your comments about feeling remote from the worries and stresses of life. Whenever people ask me about flying this is always something I talk about. As much as I love the landing phase of a flight, that moment when I pull up to park and shut the engine down I realise that its back to real life, work, worries, stress, shopping, house work, etc etc. I then have to wait several days before I get to experience that awesome feeling of freedom again, and that for me is the part of flying that I don't like so much .