PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Baltic
Thread: Air Baltic
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2011, 09:06
Pilti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After reading all posts I've got a feeling that majority of pilots are still waiting for some miracle. As I am in AB for 4 years, I can say that there are 3 pilot camps: locals, foreigners and management pilots. It is the same in many other companies. Understanding way of thinking in these groups helps to survive in such companies.

Locals - they will keep calm and work with their heads down because they are working at home, they knows local mentality and understands that you can fight if you are sure that you will get another job. But as it will be not at home, what the point to fight? Moreover they are building houses, growing children and etc. Majority of these pilots are looking for another airline, but they cannot show it as they know local mentality to well.

Foreigners. It is more complicated group. In fact they have nothing to do between flights. They spent time together and after second glass of beer they will discuss company things. Main problem - other experience and things are going not as in they home country. They are trying to change something but as everything is established in a way that they can't - that group of pilots only complains. The only things what they receive for their complains - later upgrade to the left seat.

Management pilots - group of pilots from company management and dangerous pilots:
1. Management pilots does everything what company needs. They cannot change anything because then they will loose their position and extra income. Moreover everyone knows that in any other company they will need start from very beginning. Why to change anything than?
2. Dangerous pilots are pilots who were trying to change something in a union and with they loud voices could lead the union. Those forcing company to increase their expenditure and make pilots live better. That's why company makes some instructors from them in Training department (ground refresh, CRM, SFI). Those pilots becomes part of the company structure and with future promises lowers their voices.

To conclude I wanna say that pilots must understand where you are, what is your experience and what's your plan. If it's your first airline job and you need gain experience - airBaltic it's not the worst place in a world. On of the fastest upgrades in Europe. There are many cases that pilots are not Captains only due to too low hours for ATPL license. It's true there is a big rotation of pilots, but to say the truth - Scandinavian pilots always will look for a position to fly in Scandinavia. There is a big Dutch community, but I thing it's not for long.

Local pilots may look lazy or unprofessional but especially younger generation is doing very well. Older ones has some problems with English and CRM but it's only due to their background in soviet time Aeroflot. At the same time older ones are with incredible experience.
If you are coming to former USSR country you must know that it's not an Africa, there are many well educated people. Many local pilots has multiple university diplomas and you can earn respect from them only by showing your good performance and good manner.

As many of those who will read my post could be assigned to group of Foreign pilots they should acknowledge that better you work better feedback you get. After gaining your hours you will leave this company for better one.

Latvia is out from USSR only 20 years. We still need some more decades to became more like older European countries. We cannot just jump some 50 years ahead. Country develops step by step. To change mentality takes around 2 generations to die. So give us that time and come back in 50 years