PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rishworth recruiting for Jetstar NZ
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2011, 08:35
limitedrisk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air NZ has a robust "scope" clause, that means Air NZ aircraft are flown by Air NZ pilots, any subsidiary jet operations are included, and give rights to Air NZ pilots to fly them. This is why Freedom ended up being irrelevent, and it's pilots got a pretty good deal to take up their "reserved" seniority number and integrate into the Air NZ pilot group.
That clause was not won easily, and took a bit more that "requesting" and "not condoning".
DC is spot on. Freedom was a massive threat to the AirNZ pilot group. If they had not had the foresight to make some concessions for the longterm future, the landscape could be rather different. Here is an example of an impending longterm issue that was successfully negated.

I'm an ex-Ansett guy, now working as a Captain in the UK on the A320. Much as I would come back to Oz - this offer ain't enough to do it ... even if it was choice of base in Oz!

Get close to doubling it, and it would be a consideration.
Ok lets double it. To keep it fair lets just double the base salary and guaranteed bonus and leave the overtime out of it.

$NZD (130k x 2) = $260k + (20k x2) = 300k / annum

Air NZ A320 base salary, about $NZD 220k - $250k, I stand to be corrected. There is super on top.

Jetstar CHC EBA base salary: $AUD 155k (approx) at an AVERAGE exchange rate (not what it is now) of $1.25 = $NZD 195k.

I think your expectation of a narrow body command pay in NZ is way off the mark. Hey I would like that pay living in NZ as well, however it is unrealistic.

BTW an AirNZ B747 Captain BASE salary would probably only match or perhaps not quite match your expectation of $NZD 300k

I realise you were talking about a base in Oz however this is not what the offer is for. If you want a base in Oz these days you will need to join Virgin or Jetstar at the bottom of the list. A command with check and training and doing BIG hours will get you $AUD 300k. (years down the track). You could join Tiger, but won't get that on sign up.

I think you will need to stay in the UK!