PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-101 Question
Thread: F-101 Question
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2011, 03:55
Jane-DoH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BEagle

Mistake. It didn't take long to fly a few wingovers, get inside his turning circle and trap him firmly in the windscreen. As he roared around at VC, we just sat in the middle of the turn at about 60° AoB.....
You were an Avro Vulcan pilot, I would assume? Despite being a bomber, it was pretty maneuverable from what I remember reading about it (I don't know how many G's it can pull at max) especially with those huge, thick, large-span wings.

Listening to the playback tape afterwards was hilarious:

Pilot: "Where'd he go?"
Navigator: "Hell, he's in our six. How the f*** did you let something that big get behind us?"
I'm surprised the F-101B pilots didn't realize that the Vulcan's had a turning advantage over them and didn't just use the vertical more liberally.

Delaney

F-101 liftoff at 230 KIAS
I didn't find it unusual considering the small wings the plane had. Regardless, a fully loaded F-105 would leave the ground at around 235 knots.

innuendo

That 230 KIAS must be a typo. 175 -180 ish was more like it. A bit faster if you had external fuel tanks on.
So you'd begin the rotation at 155 kts; then by around 175 to 180 you'd leave the ground?

The critical alpha for this aircraft must have been fairly low to have a takeoff speed like this and still be fairly close to stalling it when near takeoff speeds with full tanks...

everybody

If it's not classified, how did this airplane's turning performance (subsonic and supersonic), to planes like the F-104, F-105, F-4 and so forth?

Last edited by Jane-DoH; 15th Jul 2011 at 04:08.