PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rishworth recruiting for Jetstar NZ
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2011, 02:05
Artificial Horizon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, the FO side of the Jetstar Contract needs serious addressing. As for the Captain's package though, when taken into account can anyone here name a single airline OPERATING IN NEW ZEALAND where you can have the same money after a Direct Entry Command.

I can tell you there aren't, negotiations are ongoing with the company with the goal of getting everyone on a Collective Agreement (CEA) on improved terms, earning around $180,000 per year as an A320 skipper in NZ is an 'o.k' package if this is where you want to live. Freedom skippers started on $115,000, this Jetstar 'package' is better than Pacific Blue and on par with Jet Connect. The gaping hole in the whole deal is that of the FO, they need to be on 66% of the Captains pay and not 50% as is the current case.

I too worked in the UK on a vastly superior package to this, you have to ask yourself 'how much is living in NZ worth to you?'. This job is NOT for Aussies wanting to return home, this is being advertised for all those kiwi operators who are in far flung points of the world who are sick and tired of living overseas. Interestingly in the local papers this morning it was stated that less than 2% of the population in New Zealand earn more than $150,000 per year!! With the current exchange rate I earn the same as a skipper at Easyjet. Comparing NZ salaries with what people are earning overseas is unrealistic. $150,000 - $200,000 per year in New Zealand is a bloody good wage, it doesn't match up to Air New Zealand, but that is a different beast. Those wage days are over, look at where Qantas is heading. Good on Air NZ blokes for earning what they do, I hope it continues for them uninterrupted for the rest of their careers. I suspect not though.