PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OA to be paid to Libyan Aircrew
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2011, 23:37
FODPlod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, I'll play along ;-).

Originally Posted by criminal

FODPlod

Were there not three desks to choose from when you walked into your local careers office?

You made your bed, now get out it's someone else's turn to sleep in it!!
If I had walked into a local careers office, I'd still have chosen a fighting force in which I slept in a bunk at sea when deployed operationally instead of sleeping in a bed made up by a chambermaid in an Italian resort hotel for two weeks at a time and then complaining about the receipt of 'actuals' for restaurant meals and the lack of a free daily newspaper and internet access. Don't you realise how such drips must appear to members of the other Armed Services or to the general public? I've already agreed in my first post that deployed personnel are entitled to eat decently at no personal expense so where's the problem?

Originally Posted by ulsteraviator

FODPlod,

Well said CRIMINAL! How many RN servicemen actually know that they're within 12nm when they're on board? Surely the submarine crews don't, and I'd bet that most of the ships company don't either. It's only risk if you know where you are!...
Where have I mentioned anything about risk? I responded to a comment about the inadequacy of the Local Overseas Allowance being paid. That has nothing to do with risk-based Operational Allowance. As for risk existing only "if you know where you are!", have you any idea how illogical that statement is? But since you have broached the subject, here are a few headlines for your edification...
...and here are some views of the beseiged port of Misrata from one of the ships. Do you still think the members of a ship's company wouldn't know how close they are? From CO to most junior chef or mechanic, they are all 'in the same boat' and simply get on with their job 24/7, watch-on, watch-off except when at action stations. And they sleep on board in bunks.

Last edited by FODPlod; 15th Jul 2011 at 09:08.