PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming an RAF pilot....
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2011, 21:47
kanehp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Becoming an RAF pilot....

Hi all,

First things first, I'm 5'11" and very sporty. I've just finished my first year at sixth form so I've got one year to go (studying Physics, Maths (mechanics), Economics and P.E). I intend to go to go to uni to study aeronautical engineering as I think this would be benificial and I will generally enjoy it anyway.

I'm going down to have a look at RAF Odiham soon as it's nearby, thought this would give me a general feel of what the typical base is like. I've been to a careers office for an unformal meeting and I was told to start 'knocking on the door' from september '11 onwards (ideally want to join the UAS). However there were a few things I didn't clear up.

1) What is your general opinion on doing an aeronautical engineering degree for someone wanting to become an RAF pilot?

2) Last time I went to the optitians (8 years ago) I was told I was slightly long-sighted (and I mean slightly). Is this bad?

3) Does anybody have any experience in the UAS? Is it enjoyable? Is it worthwhile? Is it realistic?

4) I know the RAF aren't recruiting pilots yet, but have they actually released a 'date' from which recruiting will commence? I've seen april '12 and '13 being knocked around.

Finally, I'm new to this so I apologize if this has already been posted.

I would really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks