PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What do you love about flying....?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2011, 21:43
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do I like best about flying?

Two things. I like flying gliders best, because every moment aloft you are interacting with the elements and using the power of the sun and the wind and the thermals to defy gravity. Not quite silent flight, there is a gentle swooshing sound, and when in a cracker of a thermal, the audio variometer sings a wonderful tune. But (having planned one's cross country flight with due diligence, staying clear of restricted airspace, etc) you don't really have to talk to anyone. Only when coming in to land it is proper to call downwind. Nowadays, being rather ancient, an hours flying is plenty, but I still like to throw it around, negative G, and a couple of spins, just for fun.

And I love being around gliding folk, and yakking in the bar after we have put the toys away.

But I did fly power, got the IR in the US, did long flights, mostly fairly boring unless something went wrong. Also flew my Supercub solo to Spain in February, took 7 days! lots of adventures there - and to Ireland and a couple of times to France.

Much prefer flying the tow aeroplane, lots of skill practice in landings, taking off followed by a glider, being in charge of the combination, knowing how to read the sky and take it to the best place....going cross country to retrieve a glider landed at another airfield. Nice thing about that, the glider pilot has to pay for my flying!