PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Hours to FAA Logbook
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2011, 15:22
B2N2

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
OK, we deal with this a lot.
The following are my reccomendations;

Under FAA regulations the FAA CFI signs your logbook for every dual training flight. The "FAA" logbook is also considered to be a training record.
So your Instructor will usually write in the comments section what you have done during the flight. Since the space is limited, they usually abbreviate somewhat. If you are on a Part 141 course of training a Instructor should also put in the lesson number.

Example: slow flight, steep turns, stalls touch and go's various flap settings becomes: SL FLT/ST TURNS/STALLS/TGO's VAR FLAP.

I don't specifically know about Australian logbooks but European logbooks always lack this information, it usually only shows the flight time without any specifics.

*** THE FAA WILL RECOGNIZE ALL OF YOUR FLIGHT TIME IF LOGGED PROPERLY ***

However, since most of the training time for the PPL is required training, in order to count the experience you have it must be logged in a certain way.

I would highly recommend the following:
  • Logbook signed and stamped by the training organization
  • Solo time or PIC time properly recorded.
  • Solo cross country time properly recorded with airport names and distances.
  • Dual XC time doesn't matter since this needs to be an FAA instructor.
  • Night time properly recorded including a night cross country
  • Instrument or hood time properly recorded.

We deal with this all the time, finish up PPL we get to see the logbook and it's a mess and we can barely count any of the time towards the US PPL requirements because it is so poorly logged.

We ask for instrument experience and they go: yeah this flight and this flight for a total of 2:36. But there is nothing logged to verify this. Result; we can't use this time.

This can safe you a lot of money so be serious about it.
If you have any questions; ask.

Keep in mind that ultimately your Instructor or your school has the final word.
If your solo XC was (just an example) 9 months ago and you haven't flown solo XC since I would have you fly a solo XC prior to signing you off for a checkride. Discuss this with the school you intend to go to.